Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ATF Gigs
 After The Fire Forums : ATF Gigs
Subject Topic: Greenbelt 2004 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ian
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 September 2004 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Ian

Well it's been a week and my feet haven't touched down yet! I'm still stunned by the welcome we got at Greenbelt and more than a little touched by the warmth shown to us band newbies. My heartfelt thanks go to everyone, both backstage and front - see you at the next one!!

Back to Top View Ian's Profile Search for other posts by Ian

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 05 September 2004 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

Well, I have 2 friends who saw the venue, and decided that it wasn't worth queueing for, and My brother has family responsibilities (as I suspect many ATF fans of old would have), and couldn't stay that late on Monday.

So that's at least 3 potential additional boddies if the concert had been in a bigger venue and on a different day of the festival.

I suspect that GB also simply underestimated the number of people who came to the festival just becasue ATF was on!

I suppose they will know better next time!

Dave

Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

Guests

Online Status: Online
Posted: 05 September 2004 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

I thought it would be appropriate for me to add a few (that’s unlikely) words on this point. As well as being one of the team who helped Mick organise the reunion, I also code the website (with massive input from Mick and Pete of course).

I also happen to be the venue manager for the STAGE 2 venue at Greenbelt.

After the band expressed a desire to perform after the reunion, it seemed to me that Greenbelt would be natural venue for the band. The festival played host to some classic ATF gigs, not least the last time they played in 1979.

The choice of venue was pretty much driven by myself who recommended the band to play.

Greenbelt is not the same festival it was 25 years ago. Most aspects of booking policy have changed and evolved with the musical climate. The music committee was really pleased to be able to book ATF, but admit that the emphasis of the booking is with current artists. And as much as even I am critical of some bookings, the figures speak for themselves. Greenbelt has grown from around 3000 in 1999 (first year at Cheltenham) to 17,500 this year. Whatever you think you can’t argue with bums on seats. The people who book must be getting something right (now Jamelia – now that was a coup!).

If Larry Norman were able to come to Greenbelt I am sure he would get a bigger venue, the difference is, that up until his heart problem his was still a current and gigging artist (as well as a GB legend). Unlike ATF.

The 1999 bash for Pete Banks birthday got around 300 people (is that right Pete?), some of which were family and friends. The reunion (which took a whole lot more work that GB) got only around 120 people (although that wasn’t a band gig of course).

I don't think we could say Greenbelt underestimated the support based on those figures.

Mine, and the bands hope, was that there are people in the GB audience now with families who come or would be happy to return to the festival because the band was playing and were fans or remember them from the time.

Well, we can discuss the whys and wherefores all day, but I personally think we got it right. The venue capacity was 500 and we just hit that mark. It is possible some people left the queue for other reasons, particularly the clash with other acts caused by the delay of the fire alarm earlier in the day. Sadly unavoidable.

The other options for venues were Centaur and Mainstage. The capacity for Centaur is 4000 and the PA would have been lacking for ATF. Mainstage could never have been a possibility. Far better to have a totally packed and buzzing venue than rattle around in a larger place and it look a bit sparse. Venues always generate there own audience so I am sure had they played any of those venues the audience would have been larger.

I don't want to get into huge debates about the habits of Greenbelters, but I think you are wrong about the amount of people who go home on Monday. Most people want to get full value from there GB ticket these days and I am sure any ATF fans would actually stay to see them (and by the way - one major bonus to having ATF on last was the freedom to overrun and do encores).

And I am afraid that I take great exception to the terrible acoustics comment. Because of the amount of bands we cram into STAGE 2, the sound can be...variable, but please also remember that the band also don't carry the same crew as 25 years ago, and Paul Ganney who did the sound (was MC at the reunion) did a stirling job in such a short time...for his first ATF gig (and hopefully that applies to myself who was also being compere and doing lights). We like to think STAGE 2 carries a vibe with it. It's up close and personal and generally the comments about the gig have been good. Certainly I thought it was a blast and so did the band.

So in conclusion, I don't think Greenbelt (and I count myself in the GB team) got it wrong…

"The Greenbelt team failed to recognize their loyal customers and need reminding us 40 something’s need catering for too"

GB had no way of gauging the loyal customers (where were the other 380 at the reunion then????) and to be fair they do try and cater for EVERY age group (e.g. Moya Brennan etc). You wouldn't believe how hard it is to try an cater for all us picky 40 years olds as well as everyone else!!!

Cleary you enjoyed the gig, but I am sorry STAGE 2 didn't quite make the grade for you.

But as for next year? Well I strongly advise that if you contact Greenbelt (which I do advise you to do) you pick your words carefully. If you want to see the band play again (which would be cool, eh!) I would be very polite and stress the good points of the gig and not criticize them, because I think they were very pleased with the gig and there is nothing worse than critical emails for something they actually got right.

Blimey, it's along way up on the soapbox!

Andy

JollyJohn wrote:

When I got my Greenbelt program and saw the venue for ATF my gut reaction was that the Greenbelt team had gone crazy. I was right the response from Greenbelt punters was huge. Many people also travel home on Monday too ready for work Tuesday, consequently the audience could have been twice the size if billed on another day. Sorry but the Greenbelt team got it wrong and failed to estimate the enormity of Greenbelts ATF following. The venue was too small and acoustics terrible.

Greenbelt legends should not be placed on Stage 2, would the Greenbelt team put Larry Norman (if he was well enough to play) on Stage 2.... I think not. The Greenbelt team failed to recognize their loyal customers and need reminding us 40 somethings need catering for too.

Well done the new line-up of ATF superb gig and the highlight of my Greenbelt weekend.

Revd JollyJohn

Back to Top View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

Andy Russell

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Andy Russell

I have to agree with Mr Ploppy. Although I didn't much enjoy the queueing to get in (played havoc with my sciatica - now THAT IS pretty rock 'n roll eh?) I thought the venue and the sound were great - I've never been a big fan of large venues, and I remember being right at the back in the gallery for the Dominion '83 gig and wishing I was down the front. As far as I'm concerned gigs should be sweaty and hot with everybody packed in.... I admit that on the night I looked from the queue with envious eyes at the open air stage nearby, but on reflection I think it was the best venue available. I'm just grateful to have been able to hear their stuff live again. As far as I'm concerned any venue is OK - I'll (hopefully) be there! Its been 25 years since I stood in a Greenbelt field and watched ATF blow up half of Bedfordshire, which (for some reason which is lost on me) seemed to upset some people. Lets not fall out again (why can't we be friends?)
Back to Top View Andy Russell's Profile Search for other posts by Andy Russell

Smiffy

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Smiffy

There are many interesting (and positive) comments about the venue and the comeback. All that I can say is that I personally had no idea that after all this time, we could even fill stage 2. It was a last minute descision to do GB04, and I think that Andy did a great job to set us up there. Point is, that next year, and I reall DO hope that there is a next year, we should lobby for something bigger (not quite sure about the Centaur, but we can hope). ATF appeared on stage 2 with very little publicity, mainly word of mouth, to a packed stage 2, and that blew us away. Just imagine what would happen if there was a little up-front PR....
Back to Top View Smiffy's Profile Search for other posts by Smiffy

Dixarn2
Band
Band

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Dixarn2

Right, up-front PR. What we need is something to give the band that all important "current" status...like an album, or an EP!  I vote for a recording of the unplugged arrangement of "One Rule For You", a studio recording of "Take Me Higher" in the style of the live b-side, a cover of Tahiti 80's 'A Love From Outer Space' (if there isn't time to write new material) and a high profile cover version of a chart hit!  Any ideas?!?

ambridge1951

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote ambridge1951

Thanks for the authoritive input Andy,

Getting the band to play anywhere at Greenbelt was a coup in itself, Well done.

I can see where the choice of stage 2 comes from, but I still reckon that a larger venue would have been preferable. 

Sorry, I got the erroneous 400 capacity figure from one of the stewards. Perhaps the real problem is the gap in venue sizes between Stage 2 and the likes of Centuar and Stage 1.

I reckon that the idea of ATF doing a couple of cover version is a definate possiblity. Perhaps some of the more thought provoking Genesis stuff? Sorry, nowadays that's about as contemporary as I get :o) I'm sure others can come up with better ideas.

cin cin

ChRiS

Back to Top View ambridge1951's Profile Search for other posts by ambridge1951

Guests

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

The capacity of the venue varied over the festival dependant on other safety factors.

But you are right about the big cap in venue sizes. GB is trying hard to address this.

Andy

ambridge1951 wrote:

Sorry, I got the erroneous 400 capacity figure from one of the stewards. Perhaps the real problem is the gap in venue sizes between Stage 2 and the likes of Centuar and Stage 1.

ChRiS

Back to Top View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

bowersway44

Posted: 06 September 2004 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote bowersway44

What a load of boring old farts some of you are. Genesis and
Larry Norman ? The best thing about Stage 2 is that it can't
accomodate those £3.99 Asda camping chairs which is, it
reads, what some of you were after. We've all got 25 years
older since 1979 so our backs and legs ache like they never
used to when we queued up for the old gigs. The sweaty ones
were always the best - is everyone old enough to have pogo-
ed now too aged to have done it again and shown the kids in
the audience what it used to be like ?
I hope everyone leaving Stage 2 moved to Stage 1 to hear
what was left of Jamelia's stunning set which is, as Andy
alludes to, the treat which is Greenbelt. Where else would you
hear a band that hasn't played there for 25 years and then hear
someone headlining who's only 23.

Guests

Posted: 07 September 2004 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Guests

I would dance around the room in congratulation at your comments. Except I fear my zimmer frame would buckle under the stress.

I even come to GB in a caravan now. With comfy seats and a toilet.

Wonder if I could get it in STAGE 2.

Andy

bowersway44 wrote:
What a load of boring old farts some of you are. Genesis and
Larry Norman ? The best thing about Stage 2 is that it can't
accomodate those £3.99 Asda camping chairs which is, it
reads, what some of you were after. We've all got 25 years
older since 1979 so our backs and legs ache like they never
used to when we queued up for the old gigs. The sweaty ones
were always the best - is everyone old enough to have pogo-
ed now too aged to have done it again and shown the kids in
the audience what it used to be like ?