Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat
 After The Fire Forums : Chat
Subject Topic: Mac Owners - really that safe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Noel
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 March 2006 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote Noel

Kevin, you are suggesting I am mad (I don't deny it strangely) but you are the one who discarded vital historical recordings. I think you should stand in the corner for a whole morning for that! I do agree that the Phillips 2000 was very good though.

Anyone see The Goodies last weekend, I did and while I was watching I had one of those annoying phone calls from India. I went mad at that and told them to look at the Radio Times next time before ringing me and if they think there is something good on that I would want to watch then don't ring. They did think I would like a new mobile phone so they should have realised I wanted to watch one of the best repeats the BBC have shown for ages. Now if they were to show Rock Goes To College ... ... ...

Timestar
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Timestar

mick wrote:
I have played with Vista but  I think M$  will have a  hard job selling it.  The hardware  required  means an upgrade for most people and corporations will be reluctant to upgrade for at least a few years. 

It will be a good time for  computer vendors when people get it home and it coughs and splutters on existing hardware.

Now the Os X for X86 chipset looks fun, they have already got around the need for dedicated Mac hardware at twice the price.

A case of deja vu 3.1-95 Hardware problems 98-XP fat v ntfs and Hardware but hey isn't this mirrored everywhere in society.

i don't think Microsoft will have any problem selling it. Prices are always high at the start also you have the British mentality where everyone pays the price without query so its time everyone started to question prices and demand better deals - I always do and end up with better prices.

Back to Top View Timestar's Profile Search for other posts by Timestar

admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote admin

I always get it as part of a corporate deal so it's not a worry.  A short but intresting read about requirements here.

The really nice feature is being able to plug in a memory pen & Vista adding it to the available memory.  The first "feature" switched off is the 3D visual features.
Back to Top View admin's Profile Search for other posts by admin Visit admin's Homepage

Paul Ganney
Band
Band

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Ganney

Noel wrote:

Anyone see The Goodies last weekend,

Aaargghhh!!!! Missed it. Is this going to be a common occurrence, do you know? (The repeats, not me missing it).

Paul.

Back to Top View Paul Ganney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Ganney Visit Paul Ganney's Homepage

Timestar
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Timestar

Interesting scenario

From article that Mick linked earlier

"Memory also plays a role in a technology that allows consumers to load Vista on old systems. EMD, or External Memory Device, lets the memory in a flash memory card function like extra DRAM. If you have a PC with 256MB, putting in a 512MB memory card will let your computer run Vista, in other words. "A CPU from 2003 is probably fast enough to run Vista but the PC might not have enough memory," Trill said. EMD could also let users postpone a hardware upgrade".

quantise
Band
Band

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote quantise

Does it give any indication about what might happen if said shared device
such as a pen drive is removed 'accidentally' whilst sharing its ram with a
running program?

Sounds like something out of the "What were they thinking department"

John

Timestar
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Timestar

Well if they did that perhaps they should be wearing the "What was i thinking department" hat with a big "D" on the top

Then get some more memory and stop being "tight"

Edited by Timestar - 09 March 2006 at 2:05pm

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

I remember the tests that the BBC did which illustrate the extremes of difference between Mac & PC.

There were 2 tests:

1 Novice given sealed boxes and timed to get on to internet.

2 Computer dropped out of first story window.

The first test was won easily by the mac, with the novice getting on line in about 60% of the time it took for the PC user.

After dropping both machines out of the window, they looked at the PC, bought a replacement motherboard and were away for about 30 pounds.

The apple mac was written off as not worth repairing. (lowest quote for fixing was about 600 pounds.)

So the issue isn't that one is better than the other, it's a question as to how likely you (or your significant other) is to defenestrate your computer!

Dave

Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

Well, with no postings since my last, it's obvious that I've offended all the sensitive PC owners! For which I obviously apologise!

Dave

Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

starflight
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 14 March 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote starflight

In my opinion, macs are only any good for :

1) Music Making

2) Graphic Design

and 3) Film Editing

I wouldn't use one as a personal computer, because nothing runs on it. I love my games, and the only commercial games i've seen that are compatiable with mac are Unreal Tournament 2004 and Football Manager 2006. I'm sure there are a few more, but I love my NHL 2006, and you can't run that on a mac (far too superior for their hardware). And the mac laptops are so horrible. I used one only to find it controlled horribly. It was a Powerbook G4.

Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole (Sorry John ).

Back to Top View starflight's Profile Search for other posts by starflight

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version