Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ATF Chat
 After The Fire Forums : ATF Chat
Subject Topic: Do you remember your ........... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rod williamson
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote rod williamson

Firstly, I see Banksy is remaining coy over his dance of the seven (6?) set-list veils, although I note Zippy will reveal all with very little persuasion!

Oh yes memories, I remember. Hopefully by sharing a few of them I’ll have created a bit more space in my increasingly limited memory banks, no pun intended unless you want it to. Bill Mason- now as a young lad I recall going to the first Greenbelt in sleepy Suffolk and I saw him solo with acoustic blasting away, and now x-years later he will be sharing a stage with our famous friends.

Now my younger brother who I rarely see from decade to decade back in the 80’s was staying with my other brother in Vancouver. Still with me? Well he mentioned one day that when he was over there he went to see Van Halen, as he was a hard rock fan. To which I replied ah but my favourite band were the support. He answered that ATF who he’d never heard of were the better band on the night. Unsolicited testimonial indeed, any positive words from him is rare praise. Just shows that ATF put the headliners under pressure on that North American trek.

At another Greenbelt? I recall ATF playing a storming set and there was also a set from Arnion (a reformed Narnia?) and there was a lot of rain and a buzzing sound on stage with Tim Hatwell on bass declaring ‘this is ridiculous.’

In the mid-70’s I was helping a friend who did lighting for bands (incl ATF) and it was for a show in Ipswich featuring Babe Ruth. Anyway we dropped into Colchester for some reason. It was to see or pick up something from PB at Fox House, I recall a hospitable cup of coffee and seeing the rehearsal room in the house where they practised and the AP dropped in talking about some long forgotten band (Giggles?)playing at the Marquee.

Laser Love era, I was queuing to see ATF at a college in York and could see PB looking down, framed in a gothic window. I wondered was he amazed at the size of the crowd or whether the band were on a % and he was doing some quick mental arithmetic. At the gig I turned to see Graham Cray (now appearently high up in the CoE) doing some air synth to some dazzling Banksy runs.

At t'Sheffield Limit club I can remember a discussion with AP and poss. PB at some points. On an early outing for Billy, Billy I stated I wasn’t too enamoured (ok I’ve changed my mind), then I proffered that High Fashion should be a single (band said it’s not the obvious ones that are hits) and then I ventured that ATF would do better in America (was right on that one!)

At a gig in Lincoln at the bar I recall JR saying to PB, ‘think I’ll have a whisky’, those per diems, ah the spoils of rock stardom.

At Sheffield Univ, PB/AP gave me a little silver ATF badge for their well-travelled fans. Wish I still had that, but it was nice touch from a group who did and continue to look after their fans.

Fancy dress tour – the infamous Retford Porterhouse, daft me borrows a vicar’s dog collar and black bib thing; I received many a funny look but survived. Band comment – suits you.

That’s enough, if you want to help my ongoing therapy please send a postcard.

Edited by rod williamson - 09 October 2010 at 12:55pm
Back to Top View rod williamson's Profile Search for other posts by rod williamson

Seagull
ATF VIP
ATF VIP

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Seagull

Rod, your 0.01 posts per day underline the fact that quality is more important than quantity!

Humility: Happy to be for ever a Forum Newbie, whilst having been awarded a silver medal for loyalty! (must be a gold by now?)

Zippy
ATF VIP
ATF VIP

Posted: 09 October 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Zippy

Hey Rod, great memories, thanks for sharing them with us.

Seagull, I think Rod should get a gold star. 

http://www.aidtf.org/shop/
Back to Top View Zippy's Profile Search for other posts by Zippy

Sharpies
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 09 October 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sharpies

Amen to that Seagull, and to that, Zippy!

Yeah, thanks Rod, topping!

maggiem
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 09 October 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote maggiem

Thanks Rod..........and consider your postcard sent!!
Back to Top View maggiem's Profile Search for other posts by maggiem

Sharpies
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 10 October 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Sharpies

Are you able to get to one of the gigs, Rod?  It would be good to see you.

rod williamson
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 11 October 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote rod williamson

My dearest Lady Jennifer

It was with some alacrity that I broke the seal on your letter. Your quill strokes were most timely indeed, as this very morning I had visited the stable to see my old equine friend Mon Deo and see if he is able to make the long and perilous ride to Manchester, a place well famed for damp and distemper. And as he greedily ate the windfall I had brought him, I whispered in his ear if he could make the journey and he did not say neigh.

From wise counsel harvested from previous tales I plan to ride hard through the night to avoid any scurrilous pitfalls that await unwary travellers heading across the dark moors. Seeing an inn sign creaking inn the wind, many a rider seeking suitable refreshment and repose has stopped and been beguiled by the honeyed-words of the buxom serving wench who is merely the overture for the ministrations of an unscrupulous landlord’s stout cudgel on the poor fellow’s skull. Then only for the unfortunate dupe to awake the next morn, with a head of pain and shorn of all treasure and valuables. Now tis true I am master of a humble estate but I do not wish to miss the night’s entertainment to any treacherous flimflammers.

I have promised my faithful steed that I will not use the whip on his fine flanks, but merely carry it as necessary instrument of righteous retribution to any brigands or highwaymen who would foolhardily seek to impede my musical mission. We both know the enduring allure of hearing our merry minstrels making melodiously mayhem which would draw us across many a county border. Let those skilled merchants of the harpsichord and string rise to the occasion of our fraternal gathering.

So if you see me rain and wind soaked, with sodden hat in hand enter the great hall, throw another log on the fiery hearth and fill the nearest pewter goblet with the choicest mead. But I caveat that this happy conclusion will only occur if my dear nag has given the very best of his heart and hooves, and I can find suitable stables and fodder on arrival in said damp city.

Think not that it is Master Turner’s percussive paddlery you hear but rather the thunder of the blacksmith’s best as Mon Deo delivers me there, and pray before the encore!

Twill certainly be a brave ride.

As ever your honestly humble and most obedient servant.

Ah but not methinks as brave as your ride? Proclaiming the Coventry pageant?

Well I trust you have grown your tresses since we last encountered, and noting the vagaries of the season.

Tis surely a bold and, nay somewhat saucy, move to enter the city of Coventry on your own mare in homage to our Lady Godiva.       

Edited by rod williamson - 12 October 2010 at 1:29pm
Back to Top View rod williamson's Profile Search for other posts by rod williamson

Sharpies
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Sharpies

Good Sir,

It gladdened my heart to receive your tidings!  I confess I know not which century I am in, but prithee look with favour upon my feeble attempt at a reply.

Forsooth I declare I am exceeding glad that providence has been bountiful, and your mount is sound in wind and limb.  Ride hard Sir, and do not stop on the way!  I trust that the elements will be favourable, and the moon full.

As to your last subject, modesty forbids me say more.

My Lord and I will be glad to renew your acquaintance in the north country.

'Til then I remain your most humble servant and wish you,

God Speed.

StickyT
Band
Band

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote StickyT

Don't know about you lot by I nearly percussively piddled myself when I read Rod's post.  I think you're all raving mad and should all be sent to Coventry..... on 20th November methinks..

Sharpies
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 12 October 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Sharpies

As long as you don't do that at the gig, Stiicky, we'll be all fine and dandy.  Unless you're practising Water Music for the encore

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version