Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ATF Gigs
 After The Fire Forums : ATF Gigs
Subject Topic: Greenbelt 2004 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 September 2004 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote admin

How was it for you??!!

Would love to hear your reviews of ATF's amazing return to Greenbelt!!!!

Back to Top View admin's Profile Search for other posts by admin Visit admin's Homepage

chrisgl

Posted: 01 September 2004 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote chrisgl

Very very good. The audience was a bit loud, rivalling and, indeed, beating the PA at least in my squished bit of the room.

Amazingly, not to say annoyingly, tallented bunch of musicians, they should go far.

My only disappointment (and not entirely unexpected, but I lived in hope) was a complete lack of anything from the early "Signs of Change" years. THere's some good songs there that deserve an airing.

Hmm, that's not much of a review is it. Did I say it was vey good and I enjoyed it immensly?

When's the next one!
Back to Top View chrisgl's Profile Search for other posts by chrisgl

Dixarn2
Band
Band

Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote Dixarn2

Did that ROCK, or what?!?  I was SO chuffed that I was finally able to be there.  It was great to see everybody enjoying themselves so much, especially Banksy, who earlier in the day looked like he would rather be in Sc**thorpe, and Keith too, who had told me how nervous he was!  Nice going mate.  You made Der Kommissar you're own, Billy Billy too, and I don't care if you forgot your cue on Laser Love - it all turned out smashin in the end!  John was his usual charismatic, note-perfect self, and Ian is an immense bassist who I couldn't fault (not that I want to!).  As for Matt, his third reich drumming style and twiddly bits gave the songs a real edge ... great stuff!  I saw that twinkle in his eye when he launched the band full on into Starflight...

The gig was tremendous - my first proper ATF one in fact (I wasn't in nappies first time round, but barely into my teens) and I'll not be forgetting it in a hurry.  So...what about an album then?!

PS Loved the arrangement of "One Rule For You" from the afternoon set.  One for the album...

Duncan Langtree

Online Status: Online
Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote Duncan Langtree

I'm still on a high and can't stop thinking about it.

I drove down from a holiday in the Yorkshire dales just for the concert and back to York afterwards, but I couldnt sleep all night with the adrenaline rush!

For me this is a lifetime's ambition achieved. I never thought I would get to here those great songs live in a concert, but it was worth waiting for. I'm 37 and just  missed the great era of ATF. I was in the friends club, had all the records but parents wouldnt let me out to a gig before I was 16 and then it was all over! Andy Piercy and Press any key at Greenbelt 86(?) were great but not quite the real thing. No Andy on Monday of course but the heart and sound of the band was truly present!

I wont deny I cried my way through the first three songs, especially Life in the City, a personal anthem for me and one of my all time favourite songs. The rest passed in a blur. The queuing was entertaining, watching the age range change from the previous band's fans to us seasoned fans took the stewards by surprise!

Highlights:

Life in the City,

Frozen Rivers (Great job Keith)

Billy Billy (Jon Russell can still rock!)

Laser Love (Pete inspiration keyboard playing)

Who's gonna love you (song entirely with tongues in cheeks!)

Joy - The ATF anthem

Gina / Pete King - A moving and suitable finale

Matt Russell - Truly a star being born, awesome drumming, Dad must have been proud.

Ian Niblo - Driving Bass - was that the original blue bass?

Keith - Brave and brought his own style to the songs - great effort!

Jon Russell - Looked like he had a ball and and still a star.

Pete Banks - Has he aged at all? Still one of the greatest keyboard players to grace a stage. Were not worthy!

But last and most importantly the fans. 400+ squeezed in and a great noise, most singing along especially in Laser Love!

It will go down as one of my all time great gigs, I sincerely hope it isn't the last ATF gig I will go to.

I hope nobody minded, I did record about half of the concert on video and have cut it to a DVD which my kids already think is fantastic! I did notice several other offical looking video cameras, any plans to release a video?

I have a couple of still photos of Jon and Pete which I will happily send to anybody interested.

ATF WE SALUTE YOU  

Duncan Langtree

Back to Top View Duncan Langtree's Profile Search for other posts by Duncan Langtree

Smiffy

Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Smiffy

Glad you enjoyed it Duncan, and thank you and thanks to everyone else for your kind comments. It was a tremendous experience for all of us, especially me being a Greenbelt virgin! I was extremely impressed with the faith and passion for ATF and it really came across on the night and throughout the whole day. I was fully expecting to be very nervous, but you all made me feel very relaxed. Thank you. I have spoken to the rest of the band and all I can say is - watch this space!

Duncan, I would appreciate a copy of that DVD when you get a chance. Mick has my details.

Thanks again

Back to Top View Smiffy's Profile Search for other posts by Smiffy

Andy Russell

Posted: 02 September 2004 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Andy Russell

It took me 20 hours to get to Greenbelt by train (a tale of woe which I won't bore you with - thankyou Connex and GWR....) Had to leave Greenbelt immediately after they finished, at 11pm, to drive back to Kent. Got home at 3am - but it was worth every single bleary-eyed mile!! Highlight for me was Starflight, both for the actual performance, and for the look on the band members faces when they realised the speed at which Matt had set off! That was the point at which I thought "THATS how it used to be!!" I never saw ATF without Mr Piercy at the front playing bass, so it seemed a bit strange to start with, but it certainly was good to here those songs again! Thanks lads - I can honestly say that ATF at GB79 changed my life, and it was really fantastic to be reminded why that was on Monday night.

ps great fireworks for the encore!!

WHEN IS THE NEXT GIG???

Back to Top View Andy Russell's Profile Search for other posts by Andy Russell

Duncan Langtree

Posted: 03 September 2004 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Duncan Langtree

I'm tidying up the DVD as I post this message, if someone has the bandwidth somewhere I'll happily put it up as an mpeg file. Mick, perhaps you could email me at duncan.langtree@dsl.pipex.com and send me an address to send it to for onwards distribution.

I'm honoured the band has been in touch

All I can add is that really hope we can see this line up and who knows some more classics and new numbers at another gig, 400 + people cant be wrong!

Cheers

Duncan

Back to Top View Duncan Langtree's Profile Search for other posts by Duncan Langtree

Matty

Posted: 03 September 2004 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Matty

Hello everyone,

Just wanna thank you all so much for an incredible weekend! In particular; Mick, for looking after me, Chloe and Nick. All of the sound and lighting crew in stage2. Nick for being my drum Tech and Roadie (legand). To all you fans for coming out on the night, i could hear you all over my drums and monitor! Thats how loud you all where! It was awesome.  And finally thanks to all the band, it was a privilege to play for them and i cant wait for the next one!

I have got hold of some photos which i will post shortly!

Thanks again for one of the most amazing weekends of my young life!

Take care...

Matt

Back to Top View Matty's Profile Search for other posts by Matty

ambridge1951

Posted: 03 September 2004 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote ambridge1951

I've sent an e-mail to Greenbelt having a whinge about the venue. If ATF can pull a crowd like that at the same time as the headline act for the festival, on the last night of the festival, when many folk have gone home, then they surely deserve a bigger venue next time.

One steward told me that there had been a contingency plan for the band to do two sets! (Please, don't tell me I missed a second performance, 'cause I had to leave after the first one!)

Well done chaps

cin cin

ChRiS

Back to Top View ambridge1951's Profile Search for other posts by ambridge1951

JollyJohn

Posted: 03 September 2004 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote JollyJohn

When I got my Greenbelt program and saw the venue for ATF my gut reaction was that the Greenbelt team had gone crazy. I was right the response from Greenbelt punters was huge. Many people also travel home on Monday too ready for work Tuesday, consequently the audience could have been twice the size if billed on another day. Sorry but the Greenbelt team got it wrong and failed to estimate the enormity of Greenbelts ATF following. The venue was too small and acoustics terrible.

Greenbelt legends should not be placed on Stage 2, would the Greenbelt team put Larry Norman (if he was well enough to play) on Stage 2.... I think not. The Greenbelt team failed to recognize their loyal customers and need reminding us 40 somethings need catering for too.

Well done the new line-up of ATF superb gig and the highlight of my Greenbelt weekend.

Revd JollyJohn

Back to Top View JollyJohn's Profile Search for other posts by JollyJohn

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version