Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat
 After The Fire Forums : Chat
Subject Topic: New Member. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mograguel
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote mograguel

I will be named Half Moon.... not because my trousers keep falling down, but for those great steamy gigs in Putney!

Paul Ganney
Band
Band

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Paul Ganney

julian wrote:

Well GB84 was pretty close then, with Larry's set following Andy's.

GB75 would be closer, with Gravy Train (featuring Norman - get hold of "Staircase to the Day" if you've not got it) on before AtF.

Paul.

Back to Top View Paul Ganney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Ganney Visit Paul Ganney's Homepage

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

julian wrote:

Have I ever mentioned once having a chat with Andy and Steve Fairnie at Gb once, backstage, when Larry came up to us and started talking about something. He went on and on about it, and then left, leaving us all baffled. There was a pause, then Fairnie said, "He's gone, isn't he."

Jules

I did participate in Larrys on line birthday Chat last year and I'd say that the rumours of Larrys' goneness have been slightly exaggerated!

Also, a relative of mine co-organised a Larry gig a few years ago, when the other organiser bumped into Larry at greenbelt 15 years later, Larry instantly recognised him and reeled of the exact date and venue of the Gig.

Would you be able to say exactly where you were 15 years ago?

Dave

Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

julian
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote julian

Let's see, 15 years ... um .... 1991. Hmmm. I remember elements, but point taken. Of course, it's more than possible that Larry was talking on a much higher plain than ours, and we just didn't follow cos we were thick like. In 89, I spent an afternoon with him at GB, wandering around with him. He did a solo set in a humble tent, and was quite unnoticed by many younger punters. One older bloke came up to me and asked him if I was his manager! Larry had a suitcase full of stock (tapes), and told me to take what I wanted. I was trying to select one and had whittled it down to about a dozen tapes when he said .. have them all. I liked him a lot for that. We watched a dance piece in the Perf Arts tent by Geographical Duvet called Last Of England or something, and after he tried to pursuade them to do a piece to Be Careful What You Sign. He's a generous bloke, and completely unpretentious. Sometimes, he doesn't get across what he means, but he's a ledge and no mistake.

andrewp

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote andrewp

I'm new and I'm told I need to post within seven days and here seemed the
right place. My wife bought be a record player for Christmas, so I rescued my
old vinyl from the loft and started playing a few. Came to "Signs of Change"
(apparently quite sought after now!) and wondered what became of ATF, and
here I am now.

I have only ever been to two gigs, both were in Brighton. One was Sparks
and the other was ATF.

Andrew
Back to Top View andrewp's Profile Search for other posts by andrewp

Seagull
ATF VIP
ATF VIP

Posted: 12 February 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote Seagull

Hi, Andrew, good to hear from you!

The forum, which at times has been a constant lively bustle, varying from all sorts of fascinating ATF talk, to general banter amongst friends, has become very quiet lately, so you may not stir up much life here at present. If you do Facebook, you can find the ATF page there and "like" it. You'll find links there to a whole load of videos from concerts from the past few years, most of which are also on Youtube
. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjGIgO46NE&feature=relat ed
would be a good start, and there's masses to discover. You'll even find a historic live performance of Pilgrim in its entirety by Tribute Band "Signs of Change" - which somewhat bizarely  includes the actual band members, and is very authentic - even the Hammond & Moog keyboards!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53Mys6mzFc

The good news is, there's a concert in S London on March 24th - which you must realise if you've got this far on the Forum, so if you can make it.... ATF gigs are very friendly, relaxed affairs these days :-)

Otherwise, it's been a bit quiet on the concert front. If you're not used to the present day line up, it may take a little getting used to. Rob Halligan is a renouned singer songwriter in his own right, and without trying to be Andy Piercy, he takes on this role with conviction. Pete & John are still there, of course, with Tim (drums) and Ian (bass) as "new" boys - but very authentic. Banksy gets all sorts of stick for playing a Tyros these days, but to be fair, he did get his Moog back in operation for Laser Love last year.
If you've got masses of time, you could spend the rest of your life searching through the archives of this website and forum - there's some good historic , informative stuff mixed up amongst the nonsense! But things also move on, and many of us also follow Rob Halligan's progress, and his Pal, Gareth Davies Jones, with whom he sometimes performs. Pete also has a duo called Cafe Musica- and also has quite an interesting blog called the banksyboy brief. For me, personally ATF in its recent form has been a door to a wealth of other music - which is probably better than getting too fixed on the past.
Hope that's all of some interest or help to you. It would be nice if things got going again here, but you'll have to wait and see.

All the best,
Tim (but not the drummer) AKA Seagull

blokeattheback
Super Crew
Super Crew

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote blokeattheback

"You'll even find a historic live performance of Pilgrim..."

Don't you mean hysterical?

Fun, that was.

And if you think it was bizarre watching it, imagine how weird it was to be in it!

blokeattheback
Super Crew
Super Crew

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote blokeattheback

And another thing - if we're doing venues, I'm Fforde Grene. Large pub in north Leeds, long since demolished.

Zippy
ATF VIP
ATF VIP

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Zippy

Woooo WELCOME ANDREWP (or are you AndyP! )

Always great to see a new member appear on this site. ATF have all their songs/LPs on CD now, the best studio one is the CBS Recordings, ie. Laser Love, 1980f and Batts Not Included are all on this one CD. There is a live CD of the current line up done in Manchester in October 2010, also a live one of the old line up (taken from 1979, '81 & '82) with Andy on vocals. You can buy this on this site via the shop. Or you can get merchandise from http://www.aidtf.org/shop , also my videos are on http://www.youtube.com/user/zippyatf  . I try to be at all the gigs and sell the merchandise and record the shows.

The next show is in Kingston on Saturday 24th March 2012. Would be great if you could make it and meet us all (if you make it, you can have your photo taken with the band). You will also be able to chat to the band members. Also, as Seagull mentioned you can find us all on the ATF facebook page.

We have a bit of a family thing going once we all start chatting on the forum here. Its gets crazy sometimes!! , hope we don't scare you off .

The current line up is (as per Seagull) - Peter Banks on Keys/Voc, John Russell on lead guitar/voc, Tim (StickyT)Turner on drums (and funny hats!), Ian Niblo on bass and Rob Halligan on Vocals.

Oh yeah, and you need a nick name (only if you want to though), AndyP makes you sound like you know who, (not to be confused with He Who Must Not Be Named !!) .

ATF hugs for our newbie

Zippy 

http://www.aidtf.org/shop/
Back to Top View Zippy's Profile Search for other posts by Zippy

Zippy
ATF VIP
ATF VIP

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Zippy

blokeattheback wrote:
"You'll even find a historic live performance of Pilgrim..."

Don't you mean hysterical?

Fun, that was.

And if you think it was bizarre watching it, imagine how weird it was to be in it!

Behave JP, you were excellent, Mr Sexy voice , and I was there. Hope to see you at Kingston xx.

http://www.aidtf.org/shop/
Back to Top View Zippy's Profile Search for other posts by Zippy

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version