Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ATF Chat
 After The Fire Forums : ATF Chat
Subject Topic: When I win the lottery... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Vulpine
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 February 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Vulpine

I'm going to invest in a digital radio station franchise. I'm going to build a network of stations that earn the respect of the 30+ market. A station with such a credible music policy that it plays the records that only true music lovers appreciate. A station where the DJs are your musical superiors, there to educate and open your mind to new sounds and trends whilst keeping the standards topical, newsworthy and moreover, RELEVANT.

In each region, there will be a local station that kicks ass. It will be the modern mixed with an educated opinion. Run and staffed by people who really give a damn about music and want to spread the joy of hearing new, ground-breaking bands and music. It will ride the new technology wave like Kelly Slater in Hawaii, utilising all new ideas and stretching them - moulding them into a unique, modern, off-beat station that says to its listeners

"Don't worry. You don't have to spend the greater part of your life listening to The Sugarbabes. There IS a choice and it's OK to want to keep expanding your musical horizons"

Instead of force feeding a centrally produced, locally delivered one playlist regime of sugar-coated, hamburger-manufactured, battery-hen staffed radio to people who don't realise that they deserve better; that music can save, redeem and educate. It's a primitive instinct that the greater part of the population are supressing and more to the point, that shareholders of big media players in the radio industry are supressing. They would rather manipulate people's choices by flooding the market with manufactered 'Instant' pop acts that come and go faster than my socks. We sit and complain "there's no acts today that could compare with those back in the 70's that are still around today" but it's our fault!
We allowed these music nazis to come in and kill off personal choice because "That simply does not make good business sense." What makes good business sense is a limited roster of acts, performing records that have been written for them to perform whilst pretending that they are 'edgy' and "Oh my gosh! She has a piercing!" and "Oooh isn't he cool, how he raps about sex all the time"

Get real, you schmucks! Remember what it was like to really 'connect' with a piece of music? To have a track so good that you played it over and over again until you knew every nuance of it? Hey! You probably do remember! Remember, last year? at your neighbour's BBQ when 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' came on and you embarrassed yourself and your wife by playing the air guitar. Remember how free you felt just at that moment? Remember how you, just for a moment forgot that you're living in a three-bedroom home on a new estate full of strangers, working your butt off to pay for overheads you simply didn't have back then? Eh? Remember?

Wall to wall, non-stop exploration of all that should be celebrated about music whilst being relevant and meaningful.

I can dream..........

SHELLY

Posted: 18 February 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote SHELLY

I remember how i used to feel listening to radio 1 in the late 70's & 80's and yes you are right there is nothing out there that reflects the attitude and mind set of the 30 40 somethings in relation to modern mixed with an educated opinion, however i feel i am of a greater understanding of the reason for this, i feel that any kind of music that is not used to glorify God is a substitute for Worship. Where we put our feelings for God into song those who do not know Christ and what He has done for them write songs about the only love they know or the greater things that occupy their lives. Our love and hope is built on something far greater that will far surpass anything this world has to offer, although that is not to say that we can't enjoy some of the secular stuff that is around today. Remember i will still be singing ATF songs in glory. (not sugar babes etc)

We love you Keith

Edited by SHELLY - 18 February 2006 at 10:31am
Back to Top View SHELLY's Profile Search for other posts by SHELLY

Noel
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Posted: 18 February 2006 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Noel

When I win the lottery! I believe in miracles but for me to win is one miracle too far, I have never lost on the lottery but there again I have never played either.

I remember hearing John Peel play a track from Rush's Farewell To Kings album. The next day I ran to the record shop and bought it. I agree there seems very little these days to rush out and buy, looking at the chart most songs have there roots in the 70's, mainly sampled and Leo Sayer is at no.1. Great vocal!! Madge is still recording backing tracks by Abba, Robbie is always updating old songs, Justin has had a hit by Sparks! Do people want to relive their youth or is there no fresh talent or things to say. The Brits is a corporate event and has been for years, who's turn is it next year to win?

I recently wrote into Wogan on Radio 2 and complained about the first half hour of his show. Every song was a negative anti-family depressing song and I challenged him to fill half an hour with positive inspirational songs, Of course I got no reply, not even a return to sender!

While I am having a moan, I had a call from someone trying to sell me something this week, they asked about my partner! I replied I am employed, I don't have a partner, you have partners in business relationships, I have a wife and downgrading her to a partner is attacking proper family values. The person was stumped!! I feel better for that now!

How about some new inspirational music from the people behind this forum, maybe we can all chip in and get Keith his radio station and stuff the lottery.

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

Noel wrote:

While I am having a moan, I had a call from someone trying to sell me something this week, they asked about my partner! I replied I am employed, I don't have a partner, you have partners in business relationships, I have a wife and downgrading her to a partner is attacking proper family values. The person was stumped!! I feel better for that now!

I agree, viewing a wife as if she was your equal is always going to cause problems!

Dave

Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

getlostdave
Roadie
Roadie

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote getlostdave

Deleted - Cos I don't want to look too technically chalenged!

Edited by getlostdave - 20 February 2006 at 7:28pm
Back to Top View getlostdave's Profile Search for other posts by getlostdave

Noel
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Noel

Dave, my wife is my best friend and I don't know what I would do without her. Suggesting she is or isn't my equal is not an issue. In fact we have been married for 25 years and we are going on a cruise later in the year, I am going to let her learn to water ski on the back of the barge! She has wonderful taste except in music, she isn't a fan of AT

Sorry can't finish that sentence, please, everyone, don't send me hate mail as there is always hope and she did let me play out last year to go to see the boys in concert in Stafford.

What has happened to Chloe, no posts for ages!

mike_1stgear
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote mike_1stgear

I had this when our first son was born the midwife asked if I was the biological father?

No I said I am his dad

Back to Top View mike_1stgear's Profile Search for other posts by mike_1stgear Visit mike_1stgear's Homepage

mike_1stgear
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote mike_1stgear

water ski off the back of a cruise ship!!!!!

do you know how fast those thing go????

Edited by mike_1stgear - 20 February 2006 at 7:28pm
Back to Top View mike_1stgear's Profile Search for other posts by mike_1stgear Visit mike_1stgear's Homepage

Noel
Friend of ATF
Friend of ATF

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Noel

Shark infested water as well! If she shouts at them they will do as she says, I do!

Edited by Noel - 20 February 2006 at 7:30pm

Timestar
Mega Friend
Mega Friend

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Timestar

Well if i win the lottery it will be a mircale - seeing that i do not enter

but if i did.......?

Back to Top View Timestar's Profile Search for other posts by Timestar

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version